Monday, 3 June 2013

Simplicity 2444

I've been loving this pattern from afar for a while now after seeing some gorgeous versions, namely Zoe's from So, Zo..., Rochelle's from Lucky Lucille, and Roisin from Dolly Clackett's recent version (I love the Eiffel Tower fabric!).  In fact Roisin inspired the fabric too, but more of that later.
 
 
The pattern is Project Runway Simplicity 2444.  I'm not sure why mine looks so battered.  There are lots of variations on this pattern; neck band, collar, long sleeves, short sleeves, waist bow.  I just went with the plain bodice and no sleeves. 
 
 
The fabric came from Minerva Crafts.  It's cotton poplin, 45" wide, and £6.99 a metre.  I used 2.5 metres.  I first saw it on here on Roisin's blog, and loved it.  Then I spotted it on the Minerva Crafts website, and had to have some.

 
I really like the darts on the bodice.  Instead of bust and waist darts, it has double waist darts that are on a diagonal.  It's a bit difficult with the busy fabric print, but hopefully you can see them in the photo below.  The skirt has pleats at the front and back, and a centre seam at the front.


I made a size 4 at the shoulders, size 10 at the underarms, and size 12 at the waist.  The bodice length is size 12, and I didn't have to shorten it, therefore it would probably be a bit too short for most people.  I lowered the back neck by 3.5cm, and shortened the front darts by 1 inch.  Although I think I could sew the bottom of the darts in a bit more at the front as it feels a bit loose at the front waist.  Also the neckline gaps a little bit, but I can live with it.  I mention this because I want to make these adjustments on the next one, because there will be a next one!  I have the fabric already.  The skirt is size 12 with no alterations.
 
I lined the bodice with some white cotton lawn, but forgot to take some photos of it.  I hadn't lined a bodice before, and used this tutorial.  I had been a bit scared of lining a bodice, but, honestly, it was so easy!  Much easier than faffing around with facings, and also easier than using bias tape as facing.  I can recommend it.



In crocheting news, my Granny Square blanket is oh so nearly finished.  I just have to finish the shell edging on one side, but more of that another time.
 
Lynne

26 comments:

  1. Aw Lynne, it's gorgeous, and an inspired use of the fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pleased to hear your lining went well- I've been planning on lining my next dress. I really just hate faffing with facings...
    Lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I couldn't believe how easy lining the bodice was.

      Delete
  3. Looks gorgeous! I love the fabric too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That print is AMAZUAL! Gorgeous dress, I'm intrigued by the bodice darts. Glad to hear lining isn't a total beast too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was the bodice darts that sold me on this pattern.

      Delete
  5. I love your dress! The pattern is a bit addictive as you've seen, but so versatile too. Thank you for the lining link, I'd like to have a go on my next one. Looking forward to seeing your next one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that dress. The fabric choice is brilliant. From a distance you just see bright and colourful blocks and then as you get closer you see the detail. Very clever indeed. Plus, it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought that about the fabric too, I like that you have to look at it twice to see what the print is.

      Delete
  7. Beautiful Lynne! I love how the fabric looks so different from afar and up close! You look fantastic - looks like a dress made for twirling :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's what I liked about the fabric too.

      Delete
  8. Really, really cute! I love this! I made this pattern for my mom about a year and a half ago when I really didn't know what I was doing sewing-wise... maybe it's time to revisit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This pattern is definitely worth a re-visit, I'm going to start my second one today or tomorrow!

      Delete
  9. It looks great, I may have to pick up that pattern. I also love the fabric, it's so wild and fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the fabric, I think it would make a fabulous knitting bag too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's funny you should mention about a bag, because I have some fabric left over, and was thinking of making a bag from it. Great minds think alike!!

      Delete
  11. Your dress looks beautiful! The diagonal darts really look good with a fabric with vertical stripe. I made one of my favorite dresses using this pattern, and I'm kind of itching to make another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should definately make another one, I've already started my second!

      Delete
  12. Your dress is beautiful, I love the fabric choice...I have a real thing for sewing with fabric that has a sewing theme, always makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.