Sunday, 30 June 2013

Butterick B5603

Hello all!  Here I am outside my new house.
 
 
 
 
Only joking!  I wish it was though.  I am really in the gardens of Mount Stewart, a National Trust house in County Down.
 
Photo from National Trust website
 
Why was I there?  I was at my lovely friend Nicola's wedding on Friday.  Nicola, if you recall, is Bucket and Spade Designs in the link on the right. 
 
I decided to make my dress, and after a lot of thought, chose Butterick B5603, View A (the yellow one in the photo below) because I'd seen so many lovely versions of this on the blogs.  I used just over 3 metres of cotton poplin from Minerva Crafts (I can't find it on the website).  I didn't want to use anything with a sheen in case it looked a bit to bridesmaidy.  The bodice lining came from my Granny.
Photo from Butterick website

I made this around Easter, and I tell you what, it was not without it's challenges!  Basically the instructions for making the bodice are about as clear as mud.  I had so much trouble with the V at the back.  It was such a faff putting the neck band and neck band lining together; and as you can in the photo below, the insides aren't exactly neat.  I didn't see the point of having a separate neck band attached to the lining, it would definitely have been easier to have this as one piece.  Maybe there's a reason for it, I don't know!

 
 
Also I think I must have cut one of the strips for the V too long, because I ended up having to hand-stitch it in.  I could have taken it apart and cut it shorter, but I had already attached and trimmed the two strips to make the V, and was afraid of making a bigger mess of it. 

 

You can see on the left of the V where I had to hand-stitch the excess fabric in.  And completely beside the point, this photo makes me realise that my hair is a lot redder than I ever think it is, and this is a good thing!  Also, those white roses behind me smelt gorgeous.
 
  
The front of the bodice gathers under the bust, and doesn't have any darts.  I needed to do a Full Bust Adjustment of 2cm, and remembered seeing a tutorial on the Colette Patterns blog for a FBA on the Rooibos dress (which I will be making for the winter).  Here's a link to the tutorial, it was absolutely perfect for this pattern, and worked like a charm.
 

I am including this photo to show you the new dart.  I humbly apologise for the creases, but the dress was pulled out of the washing pile to take some photos this morning!. Oh, the shame!  I thought I had taken some photos when I finished it, but clearly I hadn't.  You can see that the zip is in the side, and it also shows the band that goes under the bust.  On the pattern, this band is only on the front of the bodice, but I continued it around to the back. 

 
I wore it with a crinoline petticoat that I bought here on Etsy.  I did try and make one: twice.  But in the case of Lynne versus tulle, it was Lynne 0, tulle 2.  I really don't know how anybody works with this stuff, it was a nightmare!  This petticoat is lovely, it has three layers of tulle, and a cotton under skirt, and I take my hat off to the person that made it because it is perfect.
 


Here's what it looks without (left) and with (right) the petticoat.  Again, apologies for the creases!


I made a size 6 at the shoulders, and a size 12 from the underarms down.  But in wearing,  it was a bit big at the sides from the underarm to the waist, so I'm going to take it in a bit.  I did a Sway Back Adjustment at the back waist, and shortened the pattern by 15.5cm.
 
I loved my dress, and the petticoat made it really sitty-out and swishy!  I will definitely make this again, but I would lower the neckline slightly, and not do the separate neck band.  I also like version C with the cross-over bodice.

Everybody had a brilliant day at the wedding.  It rained in the morning, but it was dry and a bit breezy in the afternoon, as you can see in the photo above.  Nicola was gorgeous, as ever, and we all danced our legs off at the reception.  A good time was had by all!
 
Have a great week,
 
Lynne



24 comments:

  1. Wow! You look amazing in that dress, the colour is just perfect for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the colour too.

      Delete
  2. Stunning! And Mount Stewart is a beautiful spot.... love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Isn't Mount Stewart lovely, I hadn't been there for years.

      Delete
  3. I love your dress and I love that you bought a petticoat to wear with it - it makes the dress (and you!) look amazing! Glad you had such fun at the wedding, it looks a fabulous place to get wed :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was a really gorgeous wedding venue. I'm cross that I got married just before things changed to be able to be married anywhere other than a church or registery office!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you did an amazing job on this! Your alterations look great and that green is just gorgeous on you! Congrats!
    Absolutely beautiful setting for a wedding too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous dress! Love the color of the fabric. The neckline is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The neckline is a tiny bit too high on me, but it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful dress Lynne, the colour is gorgeous on you :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your dress looks beautiful Lynne!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fabulous dress. You did a wonderful job Lynne and the colour looks gorgeous on you. One good thing about making your own clothes is that you can truly make it 'made-to-measure'. Perfect for those of us with imperfect body proportions :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're right, it's so liberating to be able to make things that actually fit.

      Delete
  9. Love the colour of the dress, it looks great on you. Thanks for the petticoat link, need to get one for the next time I go to a fancy event. I tried to make one too, and it was a bit of a disaster!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only person to have issues with tulle! ;)

      Delete
  10. Really pretty! What a lovely color! It looks gorgeous, and there's no sign of the trouble you had with it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! I took it in last night, I thought I might as well do it went the idea was still in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just keep putting patterns in my queue!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, lovely dress, well done for persevering through dodgy pattern instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am making this dress just now.....Oh, Emm, Gee!!!! What a bother this thing is, I've never made such a complicated dress! And that neck band...took me days, as I had to keep walking away from it! You look fantastic in yours, the colour is great with your hair! Hoping I have it finished in the two weeks I have left before I need to wear it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am feeling your pain! That neckband was a nightmare! I recently made another one, but without the neckband, and it was much easier. Good luck with yours!

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.