Tuesday, 14 May 2013

Pin-tuck Alma

This is Sewaholic Alma No 5, but who's counting?!
 
 
 
I was idly browsing some blogs back in March, and came across this photo here (forth one down - unfortunately there isn't a source on it).  I instantly thought, "Alma!  With pin tucks!  Yes please." 

 
So after the success with the tucks on my Mathilde blouses, I got my Alma pattern, some paper and a scrap of fabric, and started work on the pin tucks.  I decided that all I needed to do was to add in the amount of fabric for each tuck.  I made the spaces between the tucks 5/8", and the tucks 1/8".  I ruled them out on a fabric scrap with marker pen to see what they looked like.


Then I sewed them up.  I really should have ironed the fabric first!


I pinned this to the front of my Wednesday Addams Alma to get an idea of what it would look like.

 
So then I got the tracing paper out, and re-traced my front pattern piece.  I ruled the lines where I wanted to insert the tucks,


then cut along the lines and filled the spaces in with pink paper.  Each space is 1/8" wide.


This is what the whole pattern piece looks like.  To mark the tucks on the fabric I cut a snip in the fabric, just a few millimetres long, at either side of each tuck.  Then I connected them up with a long ruler and some chalk.

 
I'm very pleased with how they turned out.

 
Here's a close-up so you can see how I pressed each tuck towards the centre.


And here it is in action.

 
The fabric is cotton that I bought recently in The Paragon on Donegall Pass in Belfast.  I've a feeling it may be quilting cotton, but I liked the pattern and it's comfortable to wear.  I can't remember how much it was, but it wouldn't have been anything more than £5 per metre.

 
I put the zip into the back, and I'm definitely getting better with the invisible zips.
 
My inspiration photo also inspired me to make a pencil skirt, the pattern being Charlotte by By Hand London.  But that's for another post. 

22 comments:

  1. I love those pintucks, it all looks so professional!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautyfull! Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was pretty easy to do.

      Delete
  3. What a lovely variation on the Alma Lynne! And gorgeous fabric - it's almost Libertyesque?! Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't thought of that about the fabric! And they had it in red, which was really nice, and I have been considering going back to get it.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful blouse! The pin tucks are perfect and work brilliantly with the collar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its gorgeous, l love it and thanks for the wonderful instructions. i shall keep them 'on file' for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're welcome, it was easy to do.

      Delete
  6. What a great idea, your blouse looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty, I've been resisting this pattern for ages but you added pin tucks! I'm a sucker for pin tucks. My resolve may have just broken...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed, it's a great pattern.

      Delete
  8. I adore it. I don't own this pattern but I REALLY want it, however I am not allowed to buy it until I have made some of my other patterns first. I like the idea of this style of blouse with a pencil skirt but not sure it's a look I could pull off. Being a person of very little bottom with no swerveaciousness whatsoever I think it would be taking the pencil thing a bit too far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I say "buy the pattern!", you will love it, and there are so many variations to make so it's good value! My friend feels the same about pencil skirts; as she so delicately puts it, "I have no bum!" ;)

      Delete
  9. The tucks are lovely! I think it really perks up the pattern. The fabric is really pretty too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. This top looks great! The tucks are a lovely feature.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.