Tuesday, 19 March 2013

New Look 6723 - Snow White Dress

This is my second version of New Look 6723, the first version is here.  This took a bit longer to make than I expected for two reasons.  The first one was that I had a cold virus thingy which knocked me out a bit, I was only fit for lying on the sofa in my jammies with my TV blanket and crocheting.

The second one was that I had to make some alterations.  I knew I wanted to shorten the length of the bodice some more, and also to alter the front of the neckline a bit (more of that below), and did both before I started.  But then I ended up having to take the sides in considerably.  I only discovered this after I had attached the skirt.   Cue much unpicking. This was entirely my own fault, because I had to do the same thing with the first version, but stupidly forgot to alter the pattern pieces.  They have been altered now!

 
So, consequently, it lay untouched for a while.  There was one good thing that came of this though.  On my first version, I cut the largest size on the skirt because I wanted to pleat it instead of gather it.  So on this one I wasn't sure what size to cut the skirt, so just cut the biggest size again thinking I'd cut it down a bit before I put the skirt together. 
 
I remembered after I had sewn the skirt up, including adding pockets!  There was no way that I was going to start unpicking pockets, and I love how the skirt turned out.   It's really sitty-out, which is what I wanted.  I think the skirt in the photo on the pattern envelope is very lack-luster.
 

The fabric is Black Apple Print cotton poplin from Minerva Crafts, it is £6.99 per metre.  I bought 3 metres, and used about 2.5 metres.  It's lovely fabric, and I'm very pleased with it.  I'm calling this my Snow White dress because that's what the red apples made me think of.  I think this would look well with one of those really skinny plastic belts in red, or black.  So I'll have to look out for one.

 
I added some red piping to the neckline, but I wasn't sure whether to put it around the armholes too, so didn't.  I thought it might be a bit uncomfortable to wear.
 
The colours look very washed out in this photo.

As mentioned above, I find that my previous version gapes a bit at the neck, so I made the below adjustment.  This is from Fits For Real People.  I'm just noticing that it says "no more that 1/4" ".  Um, my adjustment was 3cm, which is about 1 1/8"!  But, you know what, it worked.


This pattern doesn't have facings, as the bodice is supposed to be lined.  I'm not a big facing fan (too much of a faff), and normally use bias tape; but I thought I'd embrace the facing and drafted a neckline facing as I didn't fancy my chances at attaching bias tape to the piping.  I attempted an armhole facing, but it was a bit of a dog's breakfast, so I went with the bias tape there.


I used Tasia's tutorial on adding a fabric square onto the bottom of the zip.  It's not really my best work, but it's ok.


And here's a photo with a cardigan over it.  Because, let's face it, I live in Belfast, so the chances of wearing this dress without a cardigan and tights are slim to nothing!

 
Thank you for the lovely comments on my Mathilde Blouse in my last post.  Mathilde No2 is already in production, and here's what the fabric is like:


Lynne

27 comments:

  1. Lynne, this made me do a little yelp of delight - it's so gorgeous! Good work on correcting the gaping, this is a problem I frequently have so I will be getting a copy of this book STAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Roisin! This was inspired by your gorgeous dresses in a big way! And you won't be disappointed with Fits For Real People, it's been a real help for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so lovely!! You look really great in it, and I love it with the red cardi (I live in cardis too...think I have one in every colour possible!!).
    Think I may have to get my hands on that Fit for Real Ppl book as well, fitting is definitely my least favourite part of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie! I have loads of cardigans too. I had a choice of three different red cardigans to go with this!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE the big pouffy skirt. It looks pretty and fun and more importantly comfortable even after eating many pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Thank you! In my case it would be more room for steaks and margaritas... ;)

      Delete
  5. I love the red piping, it all looks so professional. I think you need to knit a red shawl to go with it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! A red shawl would be lovely. You've reminded me that I did start one a few years ago, but it is currently hibernating in my Ravelry projects. It's made with 2 ply yarn and needles like cocktail sticks. Needless to say I didn't get too far with it!

      Delete
  6. Another lovely dress Lynne - you gonna need Mr Blackbeard to build you another wardrobe soon! And I can't wait to see your 2nd Mathilde, that fabric is gorgeous! Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Thank you Sonia. Alternatively, I could just clear out all the old and unworn stuff!

      Delete
  7. Th skirt is wonderful, I love a fuller skirt! I can't wait to see your new Mathilde - that fabric is utterly gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowee! :D
    This is fab!
    And your hair! Was it always that colour? You seem to have turned up your volume dial and it is glorious to see! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My hair was normally a bit darker red than this, but I got it lightened in January (which was a bit scary!) so it could be lighter red. I got it re-coloured last Saturday which is why it's so vivid at the minute. Give it a few weeks, and it will have faded a bit - such is the folly of red hair dye!

      Delete
  9. Really lovely dress, I bet you get loads of compliments whenever you wear it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I haven't worn it out yet because it's still too cold. We had snow this morning!

      Delete
  10. What a beautiful dress! You look absolutely gorgeous in it! The shape is really flattering and the red and black print is really working for you! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I loved the colours and pattern of the fabric, red and black is right up my street.

      Delete
  11. I love this dress- and the fabric is really pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! As soon as I saw the fabric, I had to order it.

      Delete
  12. This is gorgeous! The fit is really perfect, and the skirt has just the right amount of fullness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you! I'm really pleased with how the skirt turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it, it has a slight vintage feel to it, which I love! Hope the snow hasn't been too bad where you are. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The snow has been a bit of a nightmare where I am, there was 10 inches in my garden on Saturday. All the neighbours were digging the street out. I hope it's not so bad with you.

      Delete
  15. Fab fabric and beautiful dress - the piping is such a lovely detail too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.