Friday, 29 March 2013

Mathilde Blouse No2

Here's my second version of Tilly's Mathilde Blouse:
 

This one is made from some satin-like fabric my Granny gave me years ago.  I'd been saving it to make something lovely with, as, up until now, I was afraid I would just make a mess with it.
 
It's really lovely fabric, and it has a slight sheen.  As with my first one, I underlined it using white cotton lawn.


I had no major issues making this, but I had two minor ones.  1 - The bobbin thread ran out when I was sewing one of the two tucks that are closest to the centre front; yeah, the ones' where you can see the stitching.  And 2 - the electric went off when I was sewing in one of the sleeves on Friday evening.  I suppose it could have been worse - it could have been a buttonhole!  The power was only off for about 15 minutes, the whole of Belfast was off because of the snow. 
 
This is all I have to say about snow:
 
Yey to a snow day off work last Friday, boo to my car getting stuck at the bottom of the street last Friday morning, yey to lots of the neighbours digging the street out last weekend, boo to the 10 inches of snow in my garden last Saturday.  Go away snow!  This is suburban Belfast, not the North Pole!  Rant over...

 
I had 2 yards (not metres) of fabric, and it was 44 inches wide.  This meant it wasn't wide enough to cut two sleeves out with the fabric folded (see photo below), and there wasn't enough length to cut out two sleeves separately.  So I had a brainwave to fold in those pesky pattern edges that were hanging over the edges of the fabric.


The pattern piece was about 5cm too wide on each side, so I measured 5cm in at the bottom edge of the sleeve, and ruled a line up to the underarm.


Then I folded along the line, and it fitted on my fabric perfectly. :) 

 
I used some red bias tape as facing on the neckline.
 

I love my buttons!  I got them here on ebay, I came across them when I was looking for red buttons for my first Mathilde, and thought they would look great with this fabric.


It was surprising difficult to take a photo of an individual button, so I added a PicMonkey effect to take the bad look of it.
 
 
I love how my blouse has turned out, and I shall be wearing it on Sunday when I go to my Mum's for my dinner.
 
On Tuesday night I will be watching The Great British Sewing Bee; I am stupidly excited about this.  It's wonderful to finally have sewing on television, and Tilly is on it!  I hope she wins.
 
Happy Easter,
 
Lynne

13 comments:

  1. Okay, that's it, Lynne. You've pushed me over the edge. Your Mathilde is so breathtaking that I'm ordering the pattern right now! No kidding.
    I'm way stupidly excited about Tilly on the Telly too! Can't wait until Tuesday.
    Thanks for the sleeve cutting tip.
    I love your buttons too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanyoy, and yey! You won't be disappointed. It's a gorgeous pattern.

      Delete
  2. This is so nice - Lovely fabric and cute buttons!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased the fabric and buttons go together so well.

      Delete
  3. This is lovely! I bet you're glad you saved the fabric-- it pairs so beautifully with this pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so glad I saved the fabric, and I would have been really cross if I'd made a mess with it.

      Delete
  4. Ooh lovely! Those buttons are so cute - this blouse definitely calls for special buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love these button so much!!

      Delete
  5. This fabric looks stunning in the Mathilde (or is it the other way around?!). This is definitely a shirt I'm going to have to make soon - I've bought some denim chambray but am in two minds as to whether or not the Mathilde looks better in a pattern/plain fabric. Decisions, decisions! Have a great Easter Lynne, Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think there's a denim version on the pattern's gallery page, but I think it would look lovely in denim.

      Delete
  6. Looks fabulous Lynne. Glad you weren't too inconvenienced by the power cuts. It sounded horrendous on the news. I'm looking forward to watching the TV on Tuesday too. Hoping to pick up a few tips!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm counting down the seconds til Tuesday night!

      Delete
  7. Your tucks look PERFECT! I really like those buttons too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.