Monday, 25 February 2013

Mathilde Blouse

Like most of the sewing world, I went a bit giddy when I saw that Tilly had released her Mathilde Blouse as a downloadable pattern.  And, I had just bought the perfect fabric a few days before.  It was meant to be!
 
 

The fabric is mystery polyestery kind of stuff from Sew N Sew in Belfast, and cost £3.99 per metre.  I saw it and bought 2 metres knowing it was going to be a top, but without a pattern in mind.  It's lovely fabric, it's thicker that chiffon, and doesn't wrinkle too much.  It also was pretty easy to sew, because it wasn't as slippery as I thought it would be.  They also had it in black with white dots, so I might have to go and get some of that.

 
Whilst this fabric isn't too sheer, it would definitely need something underneath it, so I shamelessly copied Marie's idea of underlining the body, but not the sleeves.  Marie was one of the lucky pattern testers, and she kindly answered my question about underlining and tucks.  I wasn't sure if it was better to sew the tucks before or after attaching the front underlining, and her advice was before.  So to cut the underlining, I just pinned in the tucks on the pattern piece before cutting.  I used some voile for underlining.

 
I hadn't sewn tucks before, but Tilly has put together an on-line guide to making this blouse which is fantastic.  It's like a sew-along.  I followed the bit about the tucks, and mine turned out great on the first go.   


I got the buttons on ebay, and couldn't resist the combination of red, white and black.  I cut a size 1 for the shoulders and upper chest, and size 3 from the underarms down.  I didn't lengthen or shorten anything, but would lower the neckline a little bit on future Mathildes, as No 2 is already in the planning stages.  Also I didn't use a neck facing, but used bias tape instead, and hand-stitched it to the underlining.

 
 
I absolutely LOVE the sleeves!  I was afraid they might be a bit voluminous on me, and also a bit long.  Turns out I was wrong.  I 've been wearing it all day today, and the sleeves are fab.  Also they make me think of Adam Ant, which is never a bad thing!
 
And thank you all for the lovely comments about my trousers, I was thrilled!
 
Lynne :)
 
 





23 comments:

  1. I think it's wonderful how each project you sew, you learn new skills. Love the red buttons too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! One of the many things that I love about crafting is that there is always something new to learn, and learning is fun (to me anyway!).

      Delete
  2. Squeee! Shiny red buttons!! Love your Mathilde - it looks great on you. I'm a sucker for polka dots too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! What's not to love about polka dots!

      Delete
  3. Love it!!! ADORE the polka dots and colour combo. Wish this were in my wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! This is one of the nicest I've seen - gorgeous. And I agree, anything that reminds you of Adam Ant must be good ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They don't make pop stars like him anymore!

      Delete
  5. Ooh you were quick to make this Lynne! Looks gorgeous and the colour combination is fab. I've got some fabric coming this week which I'm hoping will do the job perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with yours. I shall look forward to seeing it.

      Delete
  6. Wow! Your Mathilde blouse looks wonderful. I do like me some polka dots :)

    Looks fab on you too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think everybody loves polka dots, they're so timeless.

      Delete
  7. It's lovely Lynne, really suits you and looks really special. I like that it's a pale colour to show off the tucks and polka dots clearly win for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I wasn't sure if the tucks would show so well because of the dots, but I'm so pleased that they do.

      Delete
  8. Lynne this is really lovely! The polka dots are prefect, and the red buttons look fab! great job :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I just love black, white and red!

      Delete
  9. Blimey Ozzie, you're a one woman sweatshop! Looks great, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those sleeves are wonderfully glorious! That is all that needs to be said :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's just the right way to describe the sleeves!

      Delete
  11. So cute! This looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unplug the jukebox! That is one gorgeous blouse! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.