Sunday, 3 February 2013

FO: Gretel Beret

Gretel No2 is finished.  I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but according to Ravelry, I cast it on at the end of December, and it took just less than a month to knit.  It's yet another Ysolda pattern (can you tell I like her patterns?), and the cables are divine. :)
 
 
The yarn is Malabrigo Merino Worsted, and the colour is called Ravelry Red. I have two other red hats, but there's nothing like Malabrigo Merino for keeping your head toasty warm at stupid o'clock on a winter morning.  I also have a purple one (also Malabrigo) that I made a few years ago, and it's seen a lot of wear.   

 
As with my purple one I made the Regular size, cast on with 3.5mm needles and used 4.5mm needles for the rest.  I didn't use the tubular cast-on because I find it too stretchy.  I used a long-tail cast-on, and started with Rnd 1, leaving out the tubular cast-on set up round. 
 
For the increases the pattern just says M1, but doesn't give a specific type of increase.  On the first increase round I did a purl increase because the next stitch was a purl stitch, and I stupidly didn't read onto the next round.  Had I, I would have seen that my increase stitch was to be a knit stitch: my increases looked bad, so there was a bit of tinking involved.  Now, I appreciate nobody would have noticed this except me, but it would have always leapt out at me.  So I re-did the increases like this - with left needle, lift bar from back to front, and knit through front of stitch.


Inards!!
I also changed some of the decreases for no other reason that I thought mine looked neater - again, I appreciate I am the only person who will notice this!  I used k2tog tbl instead of ssk on the following rounds - Crown Decreases rnds 3, 9, 17, 19 and 22.  All my mods are on my Ravelry project page here.
 
In sewing news, I have made a start on my Sewholic Thurlow trousers.  I made a muslin, and took some photos of it, but they didn't come out very well.  I started the actual trousers yesterday, and have finished the front pockets; so, far, so good - here's a photo.


Today is welt pocket day.  Gulp!  Thankfully Lauren from Lladybird did a brilliant sew-along, which is currently my constant companion.  But first I am going to the gym - I have to build up my stamina for those pockets...
 
Lynne 

15 comments:

  1. Guess what - I made the same beret in almost the same colour a couple of years ago! Great minds, and so on. Yours looks much neater than mine - I kept getting my cables mixed up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's so easy to get cables mixed up, I always have to pay attention to them!

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I had forgotten about Gretel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's it a great pattern. :)

      Delete
  3. Ooh I love it, reminds me of coral, so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hadn't thought of that. :)

      Delete
  4. I love your knitted hats, I wish I suited hats, I would certainly aspire to knit then as beautifully as you! That sunrise on my blog could of been Tuesday, or even Wednesday, but I thought it was Monday ... LOL :) The weekdays just tend to run into each other!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What about a normal hat, instead of a beret? You're so right about the weekdays running into each other, sometimes I have to think what day of the week it is!

      Delete
  5. Great hat! Lovely pattern and gorgeous colour. I bet it will get lots of wear! Have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's had a few outing already!

      Delete
  6. Oh, to be able to knit like you!! That beret is beautiful, lovely colour, and amazing tangle of gorgeous cables.
    Enjoy the thurlow sewing !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you!! Oh to be able to sew like you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that beret, Mr JK tells me I have a beret-suited head!! Perhaps I should knit one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm always so impressed with your knitting skills. Your beret is gorgeous, and I love the colour!
    Looking forward to hearing how you get on with the trousers. I have yet to try sewing trousers yet (unless pj bottoms count, but then dont!)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have some major beret envy right now. I'm fascinated by the cables. I keep staring at the picture and getting lost in the loveliness. :)

    Makes me think I've got to get on with my ravelry queue.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.