Sunday, 20 January 2013

Wednesday Addams Alma

This is the Sewaholic Alma top I mentioned in my last post.  This idea has been rattling around my head for a while now.  I was always a big fan of The Addams Family as a child, when it was shown of Channel 4 in the afternoons, and I also loved the films from the 1990s. I liked Morticia best in the TV show, but I loved Christina Ricci as Wednesday in the films.  She always wore a black dress with a white pointed collar, and any time I see a black top or dress with white collar, it makes me think of Wednesday Addams, so hence the name of my top.
It's doesn't really go with this skirt, but just put my top on with it to take some photos when I got home from work!

The fabric is black and white cotton eyelet from Sew N Sew in Belfast, it was about £3-4 per metre.  I like this fabric a lot, it's nice and soft, unlike the cotton poplin I'm working with at the minute.  Grrr...
 
 
I am especially pleased with the tops of the sleeves on this.  I really like the puffed cap sleeves on the Alma's I've already made, but the long sleeves on the pattern didn't have the puffed sleeve cap.  I did a bit of googling, and found this tutorial on adjusting sleeve caps.  Method One made a lot of sense, so I went with it, and it worked perfectly! 
 
 
Here's a photo of the long sleeve pattern piece after I had finished cutting it up.  I'm not sure how well it shows up though.  I cut the pattern piece as on the tutorial, and put the pattern piece for the capped sleeve underneath it.  Then I spread out the triangles at the top until they were even with the capped sleeve piece, and sellotaped it all together.  I also transferred the pattern marking from the capped sleeve piece, so I knew where to do the gathers.  I hope that make sense.
 
 
I sewed the gathers as on the capped sleeve version, and set the sleeves in using instructions from a Simplicity sewing book that came from my Granny.  I must post a few photos of that book sometime, because it's great.  I'm guessing it's from the 1980s, and the drawings in it are brilliant.  It's also a very useful book, and my Granny must have used it a lot, because it's a bit battered.  Anyway, you can just about see the puffed sleeves in the above photo.
 
 
I shortened the sleeves a bit, and also added a white band around the cuff, for no other reason that I thought it looked nice. 
 
These are my first set-in sleeves, and it wasn't as tricky as I thought it would be; but unfortunately the underarms were a bit tight.  It wasn't really bad, but lets just say I wasn't going to be able to do The Timewarp.  Trusty Fit For Real People came to the rescue though.  It turned out the bottom of the armscye was a bit low, so I unpicked the sleeves, leaving the gathered sleeve cap, and sewed them in again with a 1/4 inch seam allowance, and it's much better.  So I'll know again to make the bottom of the armscye a bit higher, and I might also widen the sleeve a smidge.
 
 
I need to press the collar a bit better!
 
I put the zip in the back on this one because I find the side zip on my other Almas' can bulge out a bit if the top is tucked into a skirt.  For this I added 5/8 inch seam allowance to the centre back of the back piece, and cut two pieces.  I also did the same with the back collar piece.  I used a 13 inch (I think) zip, it's a little bit short, but it's ok.
 
 
 
And finally, I used bias tape as facing again.  It was a bit fiddly because of the collar, but I got there in the end.  And I was also able to machine stitch the bias tape edge because the collar hides the stitches on the outside.
 
I am currently working on my Colette Peony dress.  I got the alternations to the bodice done, and am pleased with them, but the fabric is doing my head in.  As mentioned above, it is cotton poplin, and it's quite stiff and wrinkles like mad.  I've washed it once, and am hoping it will soften with a few washes.  I ordered it on the internet, along with some other cotton poplin, which is a bit softer.  Oh how I wish there was a decent dress fabric shop in Northern Ireland.
 
Have a great week, and stay safe in the snow.  We got it on Friday, and I'm bored with it already.
 
Lynne

21 comments:

  1. Lynne this is gorgeous! I loved Wednesday Addams as well - I used to love watching the 60s Addams Family when I was younger. I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with your Peony dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm am currently faffing on the internet to avoid the Peony!

      Delete
  2. Wow, I love it! You should quit your job and become a dressmaker :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! Thank you! I wish I could, but I think it would suck all the fun out of sewing in about 10 minutes! ;)

      Delete
  3. Love it! Love the contrast and prettily shaped collar. I love your Wimbledon-coloured granny squares too! Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've managed to do a few more squares this week too.

      Delete
  4. This is fabulous Lynne! You're so prolific in your making at the moment and I love all the tweaks you're adding to your makes x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm another Addams family fan! I love your top and the pattern alteration to the sleeve seems to have worked like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great project Lynne! Do you use your model for fitting knits too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't use my dressform for fitting at all, because I've found it so difficult to adjust to my size. I'm not sure if that's just because of my shape though. So, really, it's not that much use!

      Delete
  7. Looks wonderful Lynne. I'm also a huge fan of the Addams. I remember the old B&W series. They did a cartoon version too

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these alterations - just genius and it looks amazing. Kinda quirky but totally wearable. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is adorable, and your alterations really work. Is the bottom scalloped? I can see this looking really funky with a yellow skirt. If you wear it with a black skirt, don't forget the coloured accessories, you don't want to be mistaken as the help!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The bottom is scalloped, and I completely forgot to mention it! I didn't realise until I got the fabric home, but thought it would make a nice edging. So I totally winged with the cutting out, and it worked a treat!

      Delete
  10. Love it! You've done a beautiful job, and it fits and flatters you beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a classy top! There's something so satisfying about a black shirt with white collar and cuffs, why is that? And the eyelet details make it really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.