Sunday, 13 January 2013

Granny Squares

I had planned today to blog about Sewaholic's Alma Top No4 that I finished about a week ago, but I still haven't got around to taking some photos of it, so I thought I'd show you my Granny Square Blanket instead.
 
 
According to Ravelry I started this on 1st September.  The pattern is Summer Garden Granny Squares by Lucy at Attic 24. I really wasn't sure if I would stick with this, and only bought fours balls of yarn for it, but after finishing my Lauriel cardigan, I've been crocheting like nobody's business.   
 
 
It's takes about half an hour to make one square, including sewing in the ends, so I've been doing a bit in work at lunchtime.  In fact, I've even been teaching two friends in work how to crochet.
 
 
 
I'd bought two balls of white, and one each of green and purple.  I've now done 40 squares (which are in the first photo), and that took one ball of white.  I'm not going to say how many squares I need, because it's a bit scary.  The yarn is cheapy acrylic (James C Brett Top Value DK), I've worked out how much more I need, so I'll have to see if I can get the same dye lot.  If I can't, I'll make a design feature out the different shades.
 
 
I had planned to get stuck into my Colette Peony dress pattern this week, and got the pattern traced on Monday night.  I trace patterns because I'm finding I have to make so many alterations to the tops that the tissue pattern would end up as a huge mess.  My tracing paper of preference is 10 metre rolls of greaseproof paper for the princely sum of £1 in the pound shop.  I'm so classy!
 
Anyway, the pattern was traced, and then it stalled because I got sucked into Stargazing Live on BBC2.  I love astronomy, and on Wednesday night I went over to my Mum and Dad's (they have less light pollution at their house) and Daddy and I were stargazing with his fancy new binoculars and tripod which are about a million times easier to use that my telescope.  Grrr...  Then I found myself on the sofa crocheting and watching Stargazing Live most evenings, and tonight there is an evening of shows on BBC4 about astronomy and Patrick Moore - so guess what I'll be doing.
 
So Peony didn't get looked at again until yesterday.  I've made a toile of the bodice which fits well, but I want to tweak the darts a little bit.
 
Finally, thank you to Fiona from Diary of a Chain Stitcher for nominating me for the One Lovely Blog/Very Inspiring Blogger Award.  Her blog is lovely, and well worth a read - she makes such lovely things.  I will have a ponder about who I'm going to pass it onto. 
 
Have a great week,
 
Lynne

10 comments:

  1. Love the colours of your granny squares! I traced out a pattern the other day (Sewaholic Renfrew) and have come to a complete stall too. Maybe next week! Congratulations on the blog award :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck with your Renfrew.

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your beautiful squares all made up :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do like the colour combo for your squares. Can't wait to see it all completed. It's going to look fab!

    Greaseproof paper is such a versatile thing isn't it. Even better when you can pick up big rolls of it from the pound shops.

    Congratulations on being awarded a blog award :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've just started to crochet too. Isn't it fun how fast it goes?

    Your squares are Wimbledon colours, green and purple with white tennis kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to get the hang of crocheting at first, but now it's great! One of my friends in work said they were Wimbledon colours, and I think at the back of my brain I had realised it too!

      Delete
  5. Oh I do like Granny square blankets, there's something so comforting about them. I like the colours in yours. They are the Winbledon colours, aren't they?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are Wimbledon colours, which wasn't intensional - I just like purple and green, and the white went well with them! But maybe I should call it my Wimbledon Summer Garden Granny Square Blanket. :)

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.