Sunday, 27 January 2013

Colette Patterns Peony Dress

AKA - When bad fabric happens to good people. 
 
Well, my Colette Patterns Peony dress is finished.  There aren't any modelled photos because I don't love it enough.  I do like the shape and colour, the fit is ok (more of that later); but as for the fabric - there are no words.  I mentioned in my last post that this fabric is a bit stiff, and after working with it for a while, I grew to despise it.  On Monday it came very close to being binned, but then I had the good sense to google "how to soften stiff fabric".  Basically the solution was to soak the offending item in a basin of water with loads of fabric softener for 24 hours, wash it, and tumble dry it.  I did exactly this, and it did make a considerable difference, but it's still not great.
 

The fabric is cotton poplin from Croft Mills, the colour is called Claret (it's darker in real life), and it was £5.50 a metre.  Here's a link, so you know to avoid it.  I used just over 2 metres, at least it wasn't too expensive.  But the thing is, I also ordered some polka dot poplin from the same site, and it is much nicer.
 
As for the pattern, I had read that a lot of people had issues with fitting the bodice, especially the bust dart placement, as the darts were a bit low.  So I went with a size 0 at the shoulders, and a size 6 from the underarms down.  I left the bust darts at the size 0 height, which was spot-on, but shortened them a bit.  I also took the front waist darts in a bit.  I did a FBA of 1.5cm, but I think it was a bit generous, and it was only after I'd finished it that I remembered that Colette Patterns draft for a larger cup size than most other patterns.  I lowered the neckline by 5cm and used the size 0 bodice length, but ended up adding 2cm to the length.
 
On the back I lowered the neckline by 4cm, and made the back waist darts 1 inch longer.  I also took 1cm off the centre back on both sides, which didn't seem like much at the time, but I went with it.  I wore the dress on Friday night to go out for my dinner, and I think I could take a bit more off the centre back.  I'll take the zip out, and re-do it at some stage, but at the minute I don't want to look at it!. 

I am very pleased with the sleeves though.  They fit perfectly, and are very comfortable.  Also sewing them in was a breeze.  I pinned, then hand-basted them, and sewed them in with my machine on the slowest speed.  And both were perfect on the first go!  No puckering, no having to unpick bits; so I was pleased with that.

All of that said, I really like the shape of this dress, and will most definitely make another one when I find a lovely fabric.  But I will be revisiting my toile first to tweek the fitting issues.
 
In other news, the snow finally melted on Friday (a whole week) - serves me right for buying a house up a hill.  A mile and a half down the hill, there wasn't a flake left by the middle of the week.  And I have also started the toile for my Sewaholic Thurlow trousers, but there isn't much to see yet.
 
Have a great week,
 
Lynne

3 comments:

  1. The dress is very pretty even if it is in time out on the naughty step!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How annoying that the fabric isn't very nice. It looks like a lovely dress though, so you could just call it practising for when you find your perfect fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So disappointing when it's not quite what you wanted :( It looks fantastic though. And the sleeves are very slick! Am really interested to see how you get on with your Thurlows - I love the style of them but the idea of sewing my own trousers scares me a little! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.