Sunday, 23 December 2012

Knitted Christmas Puddings

Last week in work, someone brought in a tiny knitted christmas pudding.  It had been made to put a Ferrero Rocher sweetie in it (which was long gone), but I was all over the knitting like nobody's business!  Within about 10 minutes I had worked out the pattern, and this became lunchtime knitting for me and two friends.  So I thought I'd share the pattern.
 


Knitted Christmas Puddings
Supplies  

3.75mm or 4mm needles
Brown DK yarn
White or cream DK Yarn
Green felt
Red beads
 

Abbreviations

K – Knit
P – Purl
K2TOG – knit two stitches together

 
Instructions

Cast on 18sts with the brown yarn

Row 1 – K
Row 2 – P
Row 3 – K
Row 4 – P
Row 5 – K
Row 6 – P
Row 7 – K
Row 8 – P

Change to white or cream yarn

Row 9 – K
Row 10 – K
Row 11 – K2TOG 9 times (9sts)
Row 12 – K
Row 13 – K2TOG 4 times, K1 (5sts)
Row 14 – K

Cut the yarn leaving about 6 inches, and thread it onto a darning needle.  Pass the darning needle through the stitches on the knitting needle, and then slide the knitting off the knitting needle.  Sew up the seam. 
 
Cut out holly leaf shapes from the green felt, and sew on with a red bead for the berry.


 
 
I used brown and black 4ply held double because it was the only brown yarn I had.  Apologies for the rubbish photos, but it's just so difficult to get good photos in the winter light.
 
I didn't put Ferrero Rocher sweeties in mine, because the sweeties wouldn't last five minutes in my house!  After sewing up the seam I sewed the tail of yarn through the cast-on stitches so I could pull it tight to make a rounder shape.  I stuffed them with some cotton wool, sewed a ribbon on the back, and hung them on my Christmas tree.
 
And below are some felt decorations my sister made.  Aren't they great?!  There was also a Gingerbread Man, but I didn't get a photo of him.
 

 
I hope everybody has a lovely Christmas, and I am looking forward to seeing what crafty goodies everybody gets on their blogs!
 
Merry Christmas!!
 
Lynne

6 comments:

  1. So very cute! On my list for Christmas 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those little puddings! Lovely to knit as an extra gift! (If I can stop myself from eating the sweets inside!!) Happy Christmas to all in the BB family! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh they look great! What a good idea. Hope you have a lovely Christmas! Ros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh you are clever. I was given a Chrismas pud with choc inside last christmas by a friend who knows I knit cakes and veg. So now I have your pattern I can make some more!!! Well done Thanks and I love the felt goodies as well. My daughter made some with her class at school to hang on chrissie tree and they loved making them. It's good teaching children to use needle and thread. love dojo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realise this post has been here since last year but it's only just been pointed out to us over on the frugaldom forums. I've made my first Christmas puddings this morning and thing they're great! Many thanks for sharing your pattern, it was certainly appreciated here. Everyone in my family is getting one for Christmas this year! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.