Sunday, 21 October 2012

FO: New Look 6106 - A-Line Skirt


I finished this at the start of the week, but have just finished making some adjustments to it.


There is some background to this - I was in Benetton about a month or so ago, and saw this gorgeous skirt; but I didn't love the colour - it's a bit too mustardy for me.  So I decided to make my own!  I had a look on the interwebs, and came up with New Look 6106.  As you can see, it is very a-line, not really what I was going for, but I thought I'd give it a go.  It was only after I had started that I found this pattern for Maria Denmark Yasmin Yoke Skirt (can't remember now how I came across it), which was more the shape I was after.



I ordered the fabric from DC Fabric Traders on ebay, and I'm very pleased with it.  It's cotton stretch corduroy, the colour is called Sand, and it was £5.79 per metre.  It's 57 inches wide, so 1 metre was enough.
 
I was a still a bit dubious about the width at the bottom, but decided to make it as on the pattern anyway.  I went with View A, and added 2 inches to the length.  As you can see from the photos below, it is indeed wide!  I think the photo of the back shows it best (and it might have helped if I'd ironed it!).  I wore it to work on Thursday to see what I thought, but it was getting on my nerves.  So today I fixed it.


I took each side seam in by 3 inches (6 inches overall) at the hem, and tapered it up to just below the waist.  This is the shape you can see in the first two photos.  This is definately more what I was after.


It has front pockets, and I used some white polycotton for the insides, as I thought the cord would be too bulky. 
 
I also thought it would be a smart idea to use bias tape to finish all the seams - it wasn't.  It's not that it's a disaster, it was just very time consuming; and when I took the side seams in, I just overlocked the new edges.  I do think it was worth doing the edges of the pockets, and also the bottom of the waistband facing.


Would I make another one?  Probably, as it's an easy make, and I would quite like one in a rich aubergine coloured cord, but I think I would add a little bit more to the length.
 
Have a great week!
 
Lynne

5 comments:

  1. Ooooh aubergine cord sounds lovely. Another great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing skills are getting better and better. I am in awe. If things don't turn out right first time, I lose interest, so I admire your stickability. have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice and lovely and neat inside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking good! And I love the idea of aubergine cord :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice skirt and well done on having the confidence to alter it to how you'd really like it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.