Sunday, 7 October 2012

FO: Alma No 2

Sewaholic's Alma Blouse No 2 is finished.  I am beyond thrilled with it!! 
 

I wore it to work on Thursday with my Colette Ginger skirt - this was one of my first sewing makes, and I wear it a lot.  I wore it tucked into my skirt, but also took some photos of it over my skirt.  Everything looks a bit wrinkled because I took the photos when I got home.  My top was really comfortable, there were no wearing issues at all! :) 


Please be dazzled at my Peter Pan collar, because I am!!  I ended up having to draft it myself.  The back of the neck on my toile was too wide and high, so I had to take a 8mm horizonal tuck out of it.  I didn't think to take a photo of this, but it's the same idea as the horizonal tuck in the Sway Back Adjustment.  Anyway, this knocked out the shape of the back collar pattern piece.  I tried to take the same amount out of the collar piece, but it was bit of a disaster.



So I used the Peter Pan Collar drafting instructions on pages 104-107 of Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing, and it worked first time!!  The instructions and diagrams were really easy to follow, and I used the shape on the original pattern for the front of the collar.  The original pattern has the collar in three pieces, two fronts and one back (and the same for the under collar), so there are seams at the shoulders.  Mine is all one piece (well, two with the under collar), so no seams!  Yey!!


I'm very pleased with how it sits across the back of the neck. 
 

I made View B, with View A's sleeves.  The fabric is 100% viscose, the pattern is called Floral Viscose Marocain.  I got it from Ditto Fabrics, and it was £7.50 a metre  - I used 1.5 metres.
 
And here are a few photos of the inards...


Have a great week!
 
Lynne

12 comments:

  1. That collar is just perfect for the blouse. I really ought to learn how to make my own clothes. Being tall (6ft) nothing ever fits properly! Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I find the limited range of petite clothes frustrating, and it must be the same with tall ranges too.

      Delete
  2. Well done. It looks really good on you. I like the fabric design and think it suits you perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fab-u-lous! You are sounding so much more confident! You drafted your own collar - next time it might be the whole blouse! And I am interested to see that fabric made up - I have seen it in Ditto but wasn't sure what it would be like - is it crepey? Drapey? Whatever else - it looks great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I don't know about a whole blouse!! LOL!! The fabric is a bit crepey, and a bit drapey; but not so drapey that it's clingy - if that makes sense!

      Delete
  4. I love this and I love the one piece collar - amazing job! I think I need this version of Alma ASAP

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow, your blouse is so so lovely!! And well done on the collar - it looks fantastic! And everything is so neat inside...I'm jealous (my insides are always such a mess! lol)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Lynn - what a fabulous combination of handmade lovliness!!! The top is fantastic and I *am* in awe of your Peter Pan collar: I've yet to make one but think they're totally adorable! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooo this is lovely!! Well done on the self-drafted collar - looks amazing. It's something I've been meaning to try for an age, but I'm too afraid!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.