Saturday, 29 September 2012

FO: Alma Blouse

One of the reasons I took up sewing is to try to make some fitted clothes that actually fit me.  I think I've grumbled here before about me versus shop-bought fitted clothes!  Anyway, when the Sewaholic Alma blouse pattern came out, I knew it was the perfect thing to try first for a fitted top.
 
It took a while to finish due to all the fitting, but here is my first Alma. 
 

It fits me a bit better than the dress form, and I did take some photos of me wearing it, but (as usual!) they were rubbish!  This was the only good one.
 
 
The fabric is Cath Kidston cotton.  My sister bought me a metre for my birthday, it's 60 inches wide, which is how I was able to make this with one metre. 
 
As I had thought, there were a lot of fitting issues - not the pattern's fault, just my shape!  I used the high bust measurement to fit the shoulders, so cut size 0 for the shoulders, 2 for the bust, and 4 for the waist and hips.  But I left the waist and hem lengths at size 0, so I didn't have to shorten the middle.
 
I shortened the front waist darts a bit, and added 3.4cm at the bust with a FBA.  I also took 4cm out at the back with a Sway Back Adjustment.  One of the many problems I have with shop bought fitted clothes is that big pool of fabric at the back waist, even in petite clothes.  I hadn't tried a sway back adjustment before, and used the method on page 114 in Gertie's New Book For Better Sewing.  I know everybody has said this, but this book is fantastic!  The adjustment was really ease, worked perfectly, and fitted first time! 

 
I went with View C's neck, and View A's capped sleeves.  I really love how the sleeves turned out.  The instructions on the pattern are very clear, and easy to follow.  The inside of the sleeves are finished with bias tape in the same fabric.  Again, the instructions for this was very easy to follow.
 

Instead of using facing on the inside of the neckline, I thought I would edge it with some bias tape and lace.
 
I am absolutely delighted with my top!  I've been wearing it all day today, and it's very comfy.  This is a real fitting breakthrough for me, and there will definately be more Almas' in my future - especially View B with the lovely Peter Pan collar. :)


Lynne

8 comments:

  1. It's lovely, great use of lace at the neckline

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynne, that looks gorgeous. Such a lovely fabric design. Peter Pan collars are hot on trend this season so you will definitely have to make another one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I do like a Peter Pan collar, and the second one is already in production. :)

      Delete
  3. What a triumph and so pretty! You've done all the hard work getting the fitting right, now you can whip up some more beauties. Nice to have created something so special out of your gift fabric too...well done you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It did take a while to get the fitting right, but definately worth it. :)

      Delete
  4. I love the detail on the neck, so pretty! Clever clogs!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.