Sunday, 1 July 2012

Moose In The Woods Hat 2.0

                                

I was a bit meh about the first one, and I'm a bit meh about this one too. There are several reasons for this:

1.  Not loving the mooses, but my sister likes them, and it's for her.

2.  I didn't really like knitting the first one for the reasons below, and didn't want to have to knit this one.  For reasons on this - read on.

3.  I really don't like the shaping on the crown.  I've been having a look at some other hat patterns, and generally the decreases on the crown are either done on every row, or every other row.  On this pattern there are 15 rows to shape the crown.  The decreases are on rows 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 11, 13 and 15, resulting in a weird pointy hat which is a headache to block.  I could of (and should of) changed it a bit, but I just couldn't be bothered!  I just wanted it finished!!

                               

This is it unblocked.   Not much difference, is there?  I soaked it and pinned it to a towel, trying to pin the whole thing in an even curve.  Any other blocking suggestions will be gratefully received!

4. The tension on the pattern is mad, it says it runs a bit big, and it's not wrong!  I made the smallest size, which is for a toddler, and it fits my 21 inch noggin.  But I used the adult size for the rows.  I used 3.25mm needles for the ribbing, and 3.5mm for the rest.

5.  I preferred the yarn I used for the first one, it was Rico Designs Essentials Soft Merino Aran, and this one is Wensleydale Longwool Sheep Shop Aran.  Unfortunately I don't know exactly how much I used because when I went to weigh what was left, the battery was dead in the kitchen scales. 

This, like the first one, is for my sister.  You may recall in this post near the bottom I mentioned that she lost it.  She accidently left it on the bus on the way to work.  She only realised once she'd got to work, so phoned Dad and made him go over to her house (which is nearby), and walk from her house to the bus stop (which isn't too far) in the off chance she had dropped it.  She phoned the lost property office, but it didn't turn up.

Now, I have to say that she absolutely loved that hat.  It was practically glued to her hat (or if it had have been, she might not have lost it!), and she was very proud of the fact that I had made it for her.  Even Mum had said to me about how much Sister loved it.  She was genuinely really upset when she lost it.  But I tell you what, if this one is lost, there will be no more!  Anyway, it's finished and I'm moving on!  We shall never speak of it again!

Here are my next four Smoothie Hats, which are much more pleasing:


Lynne

10 comments:

  1. I think the hat looks great! I'm sure it will be much appreciated by your sister. Great little Smoothie hats too! Have a great week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I know what you mean when things don't quite go to plan. Could you try maybe blocking onto a 3D object - maybe a small plate or a bowl - to try and smooth it out a bit? I've done that with some Woolly Wormhead hats and it works really well! It's a great hat and you're a very good sister to knit it!!!!!!! Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, a bowl is a good idea! I'll see if I can find one that fits. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Lynne - I also had a thought today that maybe a balloon might work as well (might be a better shape than a bowl?). Just don't use pins for your blocking....... ;) x

      Delete
    3. I tried that, but I must be pretty rubbish at blowing up ballons, because the air went out of it over-night, and there wasn't a pin in sight!! ;)

      Delete
  3. I think you need to attach the hat to the back of your sister's coat with a button!! It's nice that she appreciates your handknits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! I still like the idea of gluing to her head!

      Delete
  4. Are those little teensy tiny hats below? They are so cute! I'm so intrigued by knitting. I think one day I'm going to have to give it a try. My aunt has been offering to teach me for quite some time now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are little tiny hats! They're for The Big Knit, which there is a link to at the top. Give knitting a go! Take up your Aunt's offer, what have you got to lose?! ;)

      Delete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.