Friday, 22 June 2012

Quilted Kindle Cover


It was my birthday last week, and Mr BB bought me a Kindle; it's brilliant, but more of that later.  I looked at the snazzy covers in the shops, but all of them were of the kind that you had to take the Kindle out of to use it, therefore making it easy to mislay the cover.  I remembered this tutorial I had seen on Pins and Needles blog a few months ago, and decided to have a go at making one.

 

It requires a fat quarter of fabric, interfacing, elastic and quilting batting.  I got this fabric here on ebay.  The tutorial was really easy to follow, and I made it in one evening.  I apologise for the not very good photos, but it's raining this morning, and the light is rubbish.



The inside has four corners to hold the Kindle in place,



and a pocket in the middle to put it (or anything else) in.


When it's open, the elastic goes around the back to hold the front in place.


I'm very pleased with how it turned out, and it was easy to make.  I also think it makes the Kindle a bit easier to hold.

As to why I wanted a Kindle?  Well, sometimes I can be a bit of a Luddite when it comes to technology, and that was definately how I felt when it came to electronic book readers.  I love books, I always have, and couldn't understand why anybody would not want to hold a real live book in their hands.  Then my sister lent me a book called No Name by Wilkie Collins.  People, this is every bit as good as The Woman In White, I can't stop reading it!  But -  it's a long book, and it's bloomin' heavy!  So I thought, "I know, I'll get one of those Kindle thingies!".  And, when I went to download it from the Amazon store, it turned out it was free!  As are all of Jane Austen's books, hurray!! :)

I still have to work out some of the features, but I am liking my Kindle, and it's definately a lot more convenient than lugging a big, heavy book around.


I have to show you this lovely birthday card my friend Nicola sent me.  She makes cards and sells them on Folksy and wowthankyou.  There are permanent links to her shop, Bucket and Spade Designs, on the right, near the top of the page.
  

Isn't it gorgeous!  Now, I obviously know Nicola makes cards, so you'd think there'd have been a bit of clue when I opened the envelope.  But no, I thought, "that card is lovely, and it was so thoughtful of Nicola to pick it".  It took a whole day, and a conversation with my sister before it finally dawned on me that Nicola had made it!!  Doh!  Had I have turned it around and looked at the back, I would have seen this:


I astonish even myself sometimes!!



I have been off work this week (yippee!) and on Monday I traced and cut out the skirt I mentioned in my last post; and this is a far as I have got with it.  Here it is waiting for me over the back of the chair at my sewing table, but first I must do some tidying up.  And thank you all for the lovely comments about my dress!

Have a lovely weekend,

Lynne

9 comments:

  1. Love the fabric! I really need to make one of these too, thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have to say, this really is the most useful thing. :)

      Delete
  2. I have to say that I love both my Sony e-Reader and my Kindle (yes, I'm greedy - I have both!). Love your cover. As for free books, have a look at http://www.gutenberg.org/ . Lots and lots and lots of free (i.e. out of copyright, so mainly classics) books. DD1 has downloaded Anne of Green Gables and sequels from there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo Oo!! Thank you for the link! This is right up my street because I love old books. :)

      Delete
  3. I think I am heading down the Kindle road too. We have so many books in our house, we don't have room for any more! Mine will definitely be needing a fancy cover like yours! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definately the way to go! I don't think it's going to lower the number of books in my house though!

      Delete
  4. This comes at a point where I am thinking a Kindle could help me significantly in my decluttering...hmmm. How long tilI crack?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it very hard to get rid of books though. And a Kindle will never replace my crafting books, I can't stick post-its on the top of pages in a Kindle!!

      Delete
  5. Really snazzy cover Lynne - the fabric is so cheerful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.