Sunday, 17 June 2012

FO: Kwik Sew 3521 Dress

As promised, here are some photos of my dress.  To say this was an epic project doesn't even begin to describe it!  I haven't kept track, but I would say it's been about three months in the making on and off, but more off than on.


I discovered my fitting problems in the failed Sorbetto; whilst it didn't fit, I learnt from it.  The problem was bust size vs back size.  I used the method from Fit For Real People of using the high bust measurement on the pattern instead of the full bust measurement.  And I tell you what, it really made a difference.  The high bust measurement wasn't marked on the pattern, so I just measured it out, and added the seam allowances.

I ended up using the XS size, and still had to take the back darts in a bit more to fit what I am now calling my freakishly narrow back.  I also added little darts to the top of the back neck to stop it gaping.  This explains why I don't have any really fitted shop-bought clothes, because everything is too big across my back!

Whilst the front fitted across the shoulders, I then had to enlarge the bust using a FBA (full bust adjustment).  Again, I used the method in Fit For Real People, but there are loads of examples of the same thing all over the internet.  This was simplicity itself; honestly!!  It fitted on the first go!  I added 7cm to the bust, but because I am short, I took 2 cm off the bodice length.


I used size M for the skirt and added some pockets 10 cm down from the very top of the skirt.  The pockets are from the Colette Crepe Dress pattern, which is the next dress I want to make.  I used some white polycotton for the pockets, because I thought the black might show through. 


The pattern is Kwik Sew 3521, and I think it's a shame that most sewing patterns don't have snappy names like knitting patterns do.  I used View B (the two patterned dresses in the photo below), but didn't make the belt.  I made the skirt length on the pattern, but again because I'm short, it is longer on me, but it's a length I like.  This pattern doesn't have neck and arm facing, instead the bodice is lined.  Now, this all seemed like a step too far for me, what with all the fitting alterations, so once I was finished, I trimmed a bit off the seam allowance, and covered it in bias tape.


The zip went in easily - I would say it's my best invisible zip yet; except I misjudged where the top of it would end, and ended up with a gap.  So I found a button that matched in my button box, and made a button loop using this tutorial.


And, as it happened to be my birthday recently, my mum-in-law bought me a belt which I think goes perfectly!  I had wanted to take some photos yesterday but it never stopped raining, so I took these this morning, then I got changed because I was freezing!!  But I took my dress over to my Mum and Dad's this afternoon, and they declared it the best thing ever! :)

The next sewing project will be a denim skirt, but I am also knitting my sister's replacement hat.


As you can see, I have indeed been re-doing my blog.  There was a bit of a disaster yesterday though.  I wanted a polka dot background, but there wasn't one in the Blogger templates.  So I googled it, but somehow in my browsing, I managed to get a virus on the computer!  It took Mr BB an hour and a half to fit it!  But thank goodness he was able to.  So I shall be sticking to Blogger templates from now on.  I'm not entirely happy with the header, and also I am working on the pages tabs across the top, so it is still very much a work in progress.

Lynne

16 comments:

  1. The dress looks lovely. It fits beautifully. Have you thought about getting clothes from Bravissimo or Pepperberry their "proper" clothing line. They do make clothes in several generous bust sizes so slim women with bigger busts can get stuff that fits. It costs more than the high street but it will fit you much better. The website is http://www.bravissimo.com/pepperberry/ if you are interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I didn't know Bravissimo did clothes, I thought it was just underwear! Sadly we don't have a Bravissimo shop in Belfast so I will definately check the website out. :)

      Delete
  2. Wow - you did a great job! The idea of sway back and FBA's (aka making clothes actually fit me!) fills me with the heebie jeebies but looking at how fantastic your dress is makes me realise that one day I'm going to have to think about it. Loving your new blog look :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I thought the tops you made were fantastic!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous dress, now you need some sunny weather to show it off!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's fab!!! Love the belt with it too. Your blog is also looking rather lovely :-) Ros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crikey girl - that is an awesome fit! Definitely worth waiting for! And you can't go wrong with black and white gingham for edgy / cute / smart / casual / wear it anytime-ness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am so impressed with that back fit! It looks fantastic. I always have trouble with fitting my back. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I had to resort to bribery to get my sister to pin the back for me!

      Delete
  7. So beautiful, well done you look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a great dress! Well done for putting the time into the fit, it's really paid off.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.