Sunday, 22 April 2012

WIP: Sidewalk Shawl

As I mentioned in my last post, I have been inspired to start a big crochet project.  I would love to make a Granny Square blanket, and there are some beautiful patterns on Ravelry.  There's Summer Garden Granny Square, Realta Afghan, Granny Stripes and Neat Ripple Pattern (all Rav links).  But the trouble with these is, 1: I would have to buy more yarn; and 2: the thought of sewing in all those ends makes me want to weep.

On one of my crochet trawls around Ravelry, I came across this pattern (Rav link).  It's called the Sidewalk Shawl (non-Rav link).  Here's what I've done so far:


Seriously, this is sooooo easy!!!  There are only three stitches involved - a chain stitch, a double crochet and a treble crochet.  This pattern used American crochet terms, which are different to UK crochet terms (just to confuse things!).  So a double crochet is a single crochet, and a treble crochet is a double crochet.  This chart gives all the differences.  Anyway, my pattern is now scribbled over to change everything to UK terms.

The trickiest part was initially knowing where I had to make my next stitch, but the pattern is well written and easy to understand, and once I got my "eye in" to what I'd worked on the previous row, it was easy to follow.

The stitch markers along the sides are marking the end of each row incase I had to rip back, but thankfully I haven't had to do that so far.  I think I'm on about row 24 of 50 rows, but each row is getting longer.

Also, this is a stash-buster.  I'm using Wendy Sarto which came from my Granny.  It is supposed to be bulky weight, but it is definately more aran weight.  The design within the pattern is called pineapples, here's a close-up of one.  I think this will block out beautifully.


Please note the snazzy rounded corners on my photos.  I did this on a website called Picmonkey.  I've recently been reading on a few blogs that a photo editing website called Picnik is closing.  I know I'd came across Picnik before, I think it was part of Flickr.  I had played around on it, but never used it.  Anyway, Picmonkey is apparently by the same people.  I had a go on it yesterday, and it's really easy to use  (it would need to be for me!), and you don't need to log in or upload your photos.  I think I'll be using it from now on.

Have a good week!

Lynne

6 comments:

  1. Nice shawl! I do like a pineapple pattern. There's something quite timeless about it. Once your shawl is blocked, you'll be able to see the real beauty of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh look at your clever crochet skills!! It looks complicated and beautiful. Thanks for the photo editing link, I'm off to check it out. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very impressed with your crochet! I agree about all those ends on Granny blankets. I have done a crocheted Ripple scarf and it wasn't so bad with those ends, as you could incorporate them as you went along. I've not heard of Picmonkey before, so will take a look.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh, this is looking good! Thanks for the link to Picmonkey. I'm now off to have a look. I hadn't heard that Picnic was closing, even though I use it! Have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh that looks lovely Lynne. I really must learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that looks fab - it'll be a gorgeous shawl!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.