Monday, 9 April 2012

FO: Colette Meringue

My one and only black skirt was looking a bit tired, so I decided to make a new one.  I liked the Colette Meringue Skirt from the Colette Sewing Handbook, and even though I've seen some lovely versions of it on the interwebs, the scalloped edge is not for me.  So I used Sarai's idea of folding the curves of the scallops back before cutting to make a straight hem.


The left photo is the front, and the right photo is the back (and that left side is just sitting really strangely in that photo).  Yet again, they aren't the best photos! 

I liked the fact that this skirt is made in two pieces with a side zip, and that doesn't have a waistband.  Although this tutorial on the Colette website shows how to add a waistband.  I made a size 4, and didn't have to make any adjustments to the waist (hurray!).  But I thought it was quite wide at the hem, so narrowed the side-seams from below the hips to a size 0, which is still plenty wide enough to walk in.


I also lined it using this very handy idea from Lazy Stitching (fourth paragraph down).  I have seen some lovely skirts on blogs with ribbon at the waistband, so I though I'd add some for decoration.

I used black linen fabric and black lining fabric from Minerva Crafts (they also sell through ebay), and the grossgrain ribbon was also from ebay.

I'm really pleased with it, and can definately see me making other variations of this skirt.

In knitting news I have finished the body of my All Seasons Cardi (Rav link), and here are four better photos of my next four Smoothie Hats.  Although I'm spotting a crochet theme here!


I made the Shamrock one on St Paddy's Day.  It was a pattern I found on Ravelry here.  There is also a brillant youtube video here which takes you through the whole thing.  I can't remember how I came across the crochet heart, but I made two of them a while ago, and the pattern is here.

I've also just been trying, without success, to change something on my blog.  You know how sometimes when you view a Blogger blog on a smart phone, it initially shows a list of the most recent posts with about three lines of text from them.  Well, I've been trying to get it to work on my blog, but I can't even see where to go to do it!  And the most frustrating thing is that I know I did it before, then turned it off!

So if anybody knows how to do this (or even what I'm talking about!) I would be very grateful for the help.  Honestly, it never fails to amaze me that I have a blog because I am the most untechnical person I know!

Have a great week,

Lynne



8 comments:

  1. I know what you mean regarding mobile viewing. I think there is a box to check in the settings somewhere marked 'enable mobile browsing' or something like that. Maybe make sure this box is checked?

    Also, I like your skirt. I too am unsure about the scallops, but you have convinced me that this pattern is a nice basic skirt even without the scallops, so I may well give it a go in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that's lovely Lynne - I especially love the ribbon detailing! Looks like it will be a perfect fit. I've also been doing some clothes sewing this weekend when the time allowed (first time to - eek!), will have to try and write about it later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new skirt and hats. I cannot help with the mobile bloggy thing - I too am rather untechnical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the skirt with the ribbon detail and your next set of little hats. The St Paddy's Day one is great!Sorry can't help you with the tech problem ;-) Ros

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully made skirt Lynne, especially love the ribbon detail on the waistband. I've had a look at the mobile thing but I can't fathom it out either, sorry. Squirrel x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely skirt, Lynne. The ribbon detail really finishes it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Love the ribbon detail in your skirt - too bad it's inside! I think you should be able to fix the mobile thing from your dashboard - but I can't see where just at the mo... have you tried blogger help?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must start knitting some Smoothie hats for this year. Yours are just great. Mine end up being too similar! I am very impressed by all the sewing techniques you're learning.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.