Sunday, 26 February 2012

I was shopping in I Knit

Hello all, I'm back from my trip to England, and I had a brilliant time. My sister and I were visiting our friend who lives in Buckinghamshire.

We had arranged to go to London for one night, and we stayed in a lovely hotel called Park Plaza County Hall, which happened to be just around the corner from I Knit.  My sister picked it, but I was sitting beside her at the computer at the time, and may have agreed that it was definitely the nicest hotel she looked at, ahem.

We went to see a play called The Ladykillers, which was fantastic.  It was so funny!  But, it would have been rude not to go to I Knit.  It's a lovely shop, and the yarn is gorgeous.  There was a big table and lots of seats that I was able to leave Sister and Friend at while I browsed.

Want to see what I got?


I'll do the non-woolly stuff first.  On the top right is a packet of blocking pins.  I had wanted to get an extra packet when I ordered my blocking wires, but they were out of stock.  Below that is a purchase from Liberty.  I hadn't intended to go there, but my sister wanted to, so who was I to say no.  It's a little box full of buttons, with a pin cushion on the top.  Below that is a packet of three crochet hooks from I Knit.  These have wider handles which are designed to be more comfortable to hold for a long time.  I already have one crochet hook with a wider handle, and I found it much easier to hold, and stopped my hand from getting cramped.  And finally, on the top right is a pin cushion that goes around the wrist, this is from Liberty.

Now, onto the yarn.  First of all we have Fyberspates Scrumptious 4 Ply Sport Superwash.  I've never had Fyberspates yarn, and, oh my goodness, it's lovely!  It's 55% wool, 45% silk, and the colour is gorgeous.  It's going to be an All Seasons Cardi, I have already started one in green.  The pattern is available here, it's the fifth one down - I also like the Winterberry Shrug at the top.  They are from This Is Knit, the yarn shop I was in in Dublin a couple of years ago.  Oh, how I wish this shop was in Belfast. 



Next is Manos del Uruguay Silk Blend DK, 70% merino, 30% silk.  It is going to be a scarf, but I haven't decided on a pattern yet.  I'm thinking of a brioche stitch scarf, and have found a few patterns on Ravelry, but I haven't made my mind up yet.


And finally, Wensleydale Longwool Sheep Shop Aran.  This is for a hat for my sister.  You may recall this hat I made her for Christmas; well, about 3 weeks ago she accidently left it on the bus.  She was devastated, there was much weeping and wailing.  It's a long story, I'll maybe tell it another time.  So to stop the tears, and for the sake of the rest of our family's sanity, I said I'd make her another one.

 

As well as the All Seasons Cardi, I have also started another Angostura vest top.  I've just finished the gorgeous cable on the back, but I haven't taken any photos yet, but I should have some progress to show next time.

Happy knitting,

Lynne

8 comments:

  1. I love the Manos Silk blend colourway. I knit a Saroyan scarf with a couple of skeins and was very happy with how it turned out. What a shame about your sister's hat. You are kind to knit her another one! I think you'll have to add a button to fasten it onto her coat!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to have a look at the the Saroyan pattern, thanks for the suggestion. Great idea about the button, or maybe I should just glue it to her head!! :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds as though you had a really lovely time. Your purchases look very scrummy. What a shame about the ht, but these things happen! My eldest daughter shrunk the Central Park Hoodie I made her to doll-size on it's first wash!!! NO, I didn't knit her another one ;-) Love your new sewing machine, by the way. Have a great week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good grief!! No wonder you didn't make her another one - all those cables!! :O That makes a hat pale into insignificance!

      Delete
  3. Oh look at all the pretties! The cable vest top is lovely, can't wait to see yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh such pretties! Glad you had a good time. OH and I go to London once a year but I've never made it to I-knit yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oooh what yummy things. looking forward to seeing what they become!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.