Saturday, 11 February 2012

FO: Almost Ovals

Almost Ovals is finished - hurray say all of you because you're probably tired reading about it. 

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions about Blocking Wires, they were really helpful, and I honestly didn't need too much encouragement to buy them.  I ordered this set from Hulu Crafts at the start of the week, and got them on Thursday.  

Want to see some photos?


 

 Of course you do!


I took these this morning in what passes for daylight at the minute.  I'm pleased with how the colours have come out, they are very like the real thing.  I would say it's really a bit brighter.


And this is what the wrong side looks like.


Blocking wires are brilliant, and so easy to use.   I took Helen's advice, and threaded them through the garter stitch edging.  It was a bit fiddly, but once I got the hang of it, it was dead easy.  I was about to pin it out with the blocking pins when I thought I'd take a few photos of how I blocked it.


Top left is it with wires and unpinned, then top right is it pinned out.  My blocking board is a picnic blanked from Asda with a plastic backing.  I pin my knitting to the plastic back (the dark blue bit) and then the water doesn't soak through to whatever is underneath.

Any time I've blocked something I haven't wet my knitting until I have pinned it out because I find it easier to work with when it's dry, and I don't like the slimey wet feeling.  Once I have it pinned out, I then spray it with a mist spray thingy that you would use for plants - that's the bottom left photo.  I spray it really well to make sure it's really soaked, then I put a big towel over it (bottom right), because, as most of us know, cats and knitting don't mix.  I will leave it overnight, and then spray it again in the morning, and it's generally dry that evening and ready to unpin.

That's what I did with my scarf, and it blocked beautifully. I can't get over how lovely and straight the edges are! :) I think it took me about half an hour to put the wires in, pin and spray it. Dear knows how long it would have taken without the wires.

The yarn is from Violet Green, and is called Eos Silk and Merino Lace 2ply.  It is gorgeous yarn, I had 700 metres of it, but I've just realised I haven't weighed it to see how much I used.

In other news, I got a new crafting toy yesterday.  It is absolutely brilliant, but I haven't had much of a chance to play with it just yet - but I shall tell you all about it when I do.

Lynne






6 comments:

  1. Love the scarf and may well investigate the pattern! I'm also intrigued about your new 'toy'! Tell us about it soon please :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I have toyed with the idea of buying blocking wires for a while, it seems they are worthwhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your scarf is just beautiful! Hope you enjoy wearing it. I have two more in the pipeline as gifts for friends! Now I wonder what your new toy is!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scarf looks gorgeous. Love the colour. I've been thinking of investing in a set of blocking wires. I have quite a few shawls in my Rav queue. I just can't bear the thought of all those pins :)

    Hmmmm maybe I should put it down on my birthday wish list

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a gorgeous scarf!!!!! I am very envious of your skill, I would love to be able to knit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous :) you'd need a good scarf in this weather :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.