Sunday, 22 January 2012

It's So Easy It's Simplicity 2117

In October I saw a gorgeous skirt on Tilly and the Buttons blog.  The pattern is Burdastyle's Jenny skirt, and as lovely as it is, high waists and me don't mix.  But it was the fabric I really fell for.  It's called Autumn Maples, sadly I can't remember now which website I ordered it from. 



I went with It's So Easy It's Simplicity 2117, which I bought in The Spinning Wheel in Belfast (got to support local enterprise).  I  liked the pockets, and I haven't tried pockets before.
 
 

I am delighted with how it turned out :)  First of all I made a muslin, so I could check the size and work out how to do the pockets.  The instructions were really clear, and the pockets went together easily.  I was happy with the fit at the waist, but thought it was a bit big at the hips and wide in the legs.  It definitely looks more "pencilly" on the envelope photo.  So I took the sides in from the hips down.

Instead of having darts at the front, it has little pleats, which I like very much.  Again the instructions for these were great, and they were easy to do.


I hit a snag when it came to the insides of the pockets, because I knew the fabric print would show through.  I made the pocket lining with some cream fabric, and also the waistband facing.  Here's a photo of the inside.  


But I was afraid that the print would still show through from the back of the pocket.  So I split the back of the pocket and made the bit that shows on the outside with the printed fabric, and the bit that is the inside back of the pocket in the cream fabric.  I hope that makes sense.  You can see the reverse of it in the above photo, and the front in the photo below.  I cut the two pieces so they would overlap.  I then decided to overlock the curved edges - not one of my better ideas.  And then I attached the two pieces using a zig-zag stitch because I though it would look nice, and it would have had it not been for the overlocking.  But you live and learn! 

One thing I did do was to make the overlap just inside the pocket, and not level with the front pocket edge, so it doesn't show from the outside. 


I should mention that I made this over Christmas, but I only got it finished off yesterday.  I wasn't happy with the top of the zip, so I fixed it, and I also made a slip for underneath it.  I would have liked to line it, but what with the pockets and a vent, I didn't know where to start - or indeed, if it's humanly possible!

So I got some fancy lining material to make a slip, and do you know when I realised I hadn't used said fancy lining material?  After I'd sewed it up!  I had used some ordinary lining instead.  Then I was going to attach the elastic using a technic I found in a sewing book whereby you sew the elastic onto the fabric using a zig-zag stitch.  I was all ready to go, then the zig-zag stitch wouldn't work on my sewing machine, and none of the other fancy stitches are working either - but the straight stitch is, thank goodness.  So I think the time has come to get my machine serviced; it will probably be grateful, it's over 30 years old.

But I haven't been neglecting my knitting, I am now half way through my Almost Ovals scarf.  But more of that another time,

Happy knitting

Lynne


10 comments:

  1. Oh blimey Lynne, that is Fab-U-Lous.

    Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sewing is fantastic! I think that fabric is gorgeous too! Hope your sewing machine behaves itself after a service!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous fabric and amazing sewing. Love it! Have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric is to die for. I am actually scrawling through online shops now looking for it.lol.And the sewing looks quite professional.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, it's gorgeous! Can't believe you tracked down that fabric - I loved it when i saw Tilly's skirt too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You talented woman you!! Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab fabric and a lovely skirt. You're so clever :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks great! And the fabric is fab.

    I've just ordered a dressmaker's dummy, hopefully I'll be making clothes soon too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Faboulous!
    Have you ever thought of adding Lace to the bottom of your skirts? I done that with my simplicity dress. really made it pop.

    Aki XXX

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have nominated you for a Liebster Blog Award. For all the details go here http://knittingnix.blogspot.com/2012/01/i-got-award.html

    Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.