Sunday, 6 November 2011

Oriental Ginger

After the success of my first Colette Ginger skirt, I decided to make another one.  I read on a few blogs about some lovely new fabrics at Fancy Moon, so I had to have a look.  I was not disappointed!  The fabrics in the Printed Cotton Fabric section were right up my street.  

I was tempted by this lovely Russian Doll fabric (I love their wee faces),


Matryoshka Russian Nesting Dolls Black, Trefle by Kokka
but turquoise doesn't suit me, and I don't like pink.  I had red in mind, so I chose Imperial Kiku Red, Indochine by Alexander Henry. 

 

I layed out the fabric, and pinned on my pattern pieces, but realised I would end up with the big chrysanthemums right in the middle of each pattern piece.  And, as much as I like the big chrysanthemums, it would have looked a bit mad.

So I ended up cutting each piece separately, as I liked the black-edged flowers, and wanted to off-set them a bit (but I forgot to take a photo of that step).  I think it turned out ok.

 

I also made the waistband half the height as on the pattern.  I'm small and found the waistband on my first skirt is a bit deep for my short middle.  I finished hemming it this morning, but I haven't top-stitched around the bottom of the waistband yet.  I want to wear it a few times first and see if I need to make any adjustments.


I LOVE it!!  It was much quicker to do than the first one, and I actually knew what I was doing.  I haven't forgotten about my knitting though, but more of that another time.

Have a good week!  Lynne

8 comments:

  1. WOW! That looks really gorgeous. I LOVE the fabric design. Definitely a RESULT! Have a good week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! And the fabric is fab - I love Fancy Moon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Russian doll fabric - it would make a fabulous knitting bag! Your sewing is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lynne, this skirt is gorgeous! Love the fabric you've chosen. And thanks for your comment over on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that skirt - what are you planning to wear it with? I'm a bit sad that I've had to retire my quilting cotton skirts for the winter so I'm intrigued by any suggestions for how to wear them with winter garb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely, the fabric's gorgeous and I like it with the half size waistband. I've just made my second Ginger skirt and like you, whipped through it much faster this time round! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.