Sunday, 24 July 2011

WIPs

Angostura is nearly finished. Hurray! The knitting is done, and the shoulders have been sewn together. I want to wash and block it now before I sew up the side seams. I finally worked out the left shoulder, but I'll tell you about that when I have the finished photos to show.

So today I thought I'd show you some other WIPs. First is the Serpentine Socks. Here's what I've done so far:



I don't think the pattern shows too well with this yarn, but just looking at this photo, it looks better on my foot than on the needles. The yarn is Zwerger Garn Opal Schafpate, and the colour is 2713. I bought it from my LYS, Jean's Wool Shop, which is fab for sock yarn.


The second WIP is called Kate Shopping Shawl, which I mentioned in this post. I started this about a month ago, but haven't blogged about it yet. I'm calling it my Forbidden Shawl because the tiny stitches make me think of the Forbidden Stitch in Chinese Embroidery - even though it's obviously completely different!



It's done with 2ply, so don't expect it to be finished any time soon! I'm using Filatura Di Crosa Centolavaggi Chine, which I bought on ebay. It's a clever construction, as it's worked from corner to corner, rather than the centre-back out. Then you pick-up stitches the whole way around to make the edging.




The pattern is quite easy as it's a four-stitch repeat, but the start and end of the rows vary, so I have to make sure I'm on the right row. The stitch pattern makes it into what actually looks like a herringbone woven fabric. It's very pretty.

And I'm always talking about the great big stash of yarn I inherited from my Granny, so I thought I'd show you a photo. Brace yourselves!!

This was it all spread out on my living room floor when I brought it home. It filled six big re-useable Tescos plastic bags. As I look at the photo I can see lots of things I've used.

I've used some red/purple 4ply for my Frost Diamonds Shawl and Razor Cami Vest Top. Then there's the purple DK which became Angostura and my Rose Purple Beret. Some of it, along with some lighter purple, became my Two-Tone Shrug. The navy DK became my Dad's Jacques Cousteau Hat; and lots of brown, turquoise, blue and beige DK became my sister and my's Hap Blankets. The sea-green DK became my Menai Tank-Top, and some beige 4ply got dyed to make my Neep Heid Beret. And finally, some of the eyelash stuff has become Innocent Smoothie Hats. Phew!! And there's still loads left! At least I gave it a good home! :)


Happy knitting,

Lynne

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see your Angostura when it's finished. I haven't even contemplated knitting anything from the new book yet, will get round to it eventually. I'm loving the sock pattern and the colour. I don't make enough socks (probably because I like to walk about in my bare feet all the time) so I'm always very envious of peeps who have photos of socks on their blogs. Yours are lovely.
    OMG! I'm so jealous of the stash you inherited, that is awesome. Where on earth do you store it all? Squirrel xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!! The stash has been stored in various places. Some it was under the bed in the spare room, but that got a bit out of hand, so I had to sort it out. All the stuff I don't think I'll use is in the roof space in a giant vaccum bag - one of those things you seal up and suck the air out with the hoover. The rest is in the top two shelves of the hot press in more vaccum bags along with all the stash I've bought myself!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's one amazing stash you'vr inherited. Love your socks!Ros

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your stash of wool. It makes my heart race with ecstasy. Socks look fab and the Angostura should be fab, too, I have no doubt . I am impressed how dense the shawl knit lloks when you say it is only 4 ply. :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my God!!. Will you ever run out of yarn? Wow. Looking forward to seeing ur finished angostura.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.