Sunday, 23 January 2011

Jogless jogging...

Jogless Jogs

I've learnt a new technique, and I'm feeling very proud of myself. Let me explain - below are my next four The Big Knit hats.


 
I knit the top two in the round, and did the yellow and red one first. Unfortunately every time I changed the colours, the stitches didn't match up - as you can see in the photo. I had a think about it, and decided there had to be a solution to this problem, as it is bound to effect anybody making stripey socks. So, after some Googling, I discovered The Jogless Jog.

It is, quite frankly, genius!  I'm not even going to try and attempt to explain it, but if you click on the above link, all will become clear.

So then I had to try it out, so I made the pink and blue hat. The photo shows the bit of the hat where the jogs are. A few of the stitches look a bit uneven (especially a pink one towards the lef!), but for a first go, I'm very pleased with it.


Dad's Hat


I gave Dad his hat on Thursday night; he loved it, and I am now the cat's pyjamas.  Here's a not very good photo of me wearing it. I know it's hard to see in the photo, but I really love how the decreases look on it.
Famous last words...

You may remember waaaaay back in my last post I said I wasn't knitting with dark yarn again. Well, that lasted one day! I wore the Mayrose Beret to work last Monday, but didn't have a scarf that went with it; and since I have a ball and a half of the King Cole Mirage left, I thought I'd make one. Then I recalled a pattern in a Twilleys pattern book, and cast it on on Monday night.


It has become my tea-break knitting in work, but I brought it home to take a photo. Here it is:


The pattern is called
Multi Directional Scarf (Ravelry link). You start off at the bottom of the triangle and increase on each row. Once the triangle is the right size, you work short-rows, knitting together one more stitch every other row to make the bigger triangle. It's a bit like knitting together stitches on a toe-up sock heel. I found it easy enough once I got the hang of it, and can happily talk and knit at the same time - which is important!
Have a happy knitting week,


Lynne

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your jogless jogging and I'm glad your dad liked his hat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used the jogless join when I made some stripy baby beanie hats, but I actually preferred how the hat looked in the one I didn't knit in the round, but joined with mattress stitch. I could 'see' the jog moving across the hat diagonally. Probably the recipient wouldn't have noticed, but it bothered me. Maybe I had the yarn a little too tight! Your Dad's hat looks great - I do hope you're eating plenty of carrots to help you with your scarf too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your dad's hat and that pretty scarf. I think I need to go and investigate the pattern Hope you have a good week. Ros and Oscar

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.