Sunday, 10 October 2010

New things

I have been wanting to start another Peaks Island Hood Scarf, but the yarn I have needs winding. Mr Blackbeard and my sister are both veterans of yarn winding, and veterans of moaning about how their arms hurt.

So I had a mooch about the internet and found a site for making your own swift. Mr Blackbeard said he'd have a look at it, but then I found this swift at Brownberry Yarns.


It wasn't as expensive as I thought it would be, so I ordered one last Saturday, and it came on Thursday. Here it is:


Mr Blackbeard says it looks like a medieval war machine! I wound the green yarn in the photo in about 15 minutes. It's brilliant!

I also got these little labels for sewing into my knitting. They were from here -

And here's something I've finished. It was a quilted cushion kit I got on ebay. The pieces were already cut out. It's not perfect, and the cushion pad is too small, but I'm very pleased with it. I hadn't done any sewing for ages, but it's made me quite interested in quilting now, so if anybody can recommend a good quilting book, please let me know.

Happing knitting!

Lynne

5 comments:

  1. I do like your swift - might have to point Mr JK in this direction towards Christmas! And your woven labels are soooo sweet! Can't help you with a quilting book I'm afraid. My sewing skills leave a lot to be desired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Love the cushion. I am wanting to have a go at quilting too and have recently purchesed two books from Amazon. They both look very inviting and the first is brimming full with easy to achieve designs. They are, 'Quilting in No Time' by Emma Hardy and 'The Gentle Art of Quilt Making' by Jane Brocket. Thanks for the links, by the way. Just off to have at a look at those swifts :) Have a great week. Ros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Swift looks lovely, I currently use an upside down chair :-). Your cushion is gorgeous, I don't seem to enjoy sewing nowadays, I used to enjoy cross stitch. I'll stick to my knitting for now I think, I'll have a mental breakdown if I have anymore things I want to make LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The swift is rather lovely, I've asked for one before but Mr NM wont bite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice stuff, I especially like the woven labels. A very cool idea! The swift is lovely too, I use one of those ancient plastic ball winders that were flying around from the 60's/70's. It was my mum's and like every other knitting related object she owned, I nicked it off her lol ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading my blog! I love reading your comments, so please feel free to leave a comment if you have the time :) Lynne.